If you want to make your own cosplay costume, know that it involves a learning curve. The reason is that you have to choose the right fabric and design your own patterns. There are many ways to learn the art. You can either learn from your own mistakes or follow some written instructions. In this article, we are going to give you a few tips that can help you make one yourself.
Get Reference Images
Based on your character, you may want to get some reference images. This will help you see the full body of the character. Make sure that the reference images offer details of the shoes and accessories of the character.
Buy Required Items
You should start by looking for the items you need. Some of the items that you may need for this job include shoes, necklaces, t-shirts, and belts. It is better that you get T-shirts as you can change them by dying, cutting, and fabric painting.
Get the Required Accessories
You can also make the accessories you need. You may want to start with smaller objects and then work your way up. This will help you make your hands steady so you can work on the bigger things. An easy way is to draw the object, get measurements, and then get an estimate of the fabric size. Your next move is to purchase the fabric and then sew you the required thing after cutting it out.
Sew the Bigger Pieces
An easy way to sew the bigger pieces is to buy them from eBay or your desired thrift stores. You can then make your required alterations to the pieces. On the other hand, if you want to make a costume, you can follow the steps given above.
Sewing Tips for Beginners
Given below are some of the sewing tips that you can follow if you are a beginner:
- Bias represents the grain of the fabric, which carries a lot of importance when cutting the pieces.
- It is important to keep in mind that many fabric types have an inside and an outside. Therefore, you may want to take a closer look at them to choose the right side for the right side of the garment.
- Make sure you have the right size. It should be neither too tight nor too loose. For stitches, it is a must that you add at least half an inch.
- Before you start sewing, don’t forget to iron the fabrics. However, keep in mind that some types of fabric cannot tolerate excessive heat. So, it is better that you steam them rather than iron., In some cases, it is better to wash and dry them.
- It is not a good idea to go for overly shiny fabrics as they don’t look good in photos. In the same way, don’t go for fabrics that the camera can see through in direct sunlight. For this purpose, it’s better that you go for cotton.
Long story short, we suggest that you follow these simple tips if you are going to make your own cosplay costume. These tips will help you take a start and avoid some common mistakes during the process.
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Arthur_Huang/2682732
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/10393673